Sunday 14 January 2018

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn Review

I have recently decided to partake in an Instagram project called the #TheUnreadShelfProject2018, the aim: to read all the books on your shelf that you haven't read before (and try not to buy anymore)... This was the second book I've read this year from my "Unread Shelf", the first being Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson which I must admit was very good, however that is not the book this post is about.

On a warm summer morning in North Carthage, Missouri, it is Nick and Amy Dunne’s fifth wedding anniversary. Presents are being wrapped and reservations are being made when Nick’s clever and beautiful wife disappears. Husband-of-the-Year Nick isn’t doing himself any favors with cringe-worthy daydreams about the slope and shape of his wife’s head, but passages from Amy's diary reveal the alpha-girl perfectionist could have put anyone dangerously on edge. Under mounting pressure from the police and the media—as well as Amy’s fiercely doting parents—the town golden boy parades an endless series of lies, deceits, and inappropriate behavior. Nick is oddly evasive, and he’s definitely bitter—but is he really a killer?

Nick and Amy both lost their jobs, when Nick's parents get ill they must uproot from New York and move to Missouri, that is when the trouble begins...
This book was in three parts and the chapters were written from either Amy's POV or Nick's POV, with the POV changing every other chapter and different dates and such, so often I would be reading a Nick chapter then get slightly confused as I continued reading until I realised that I'd moved on to an Amy chapter without noticing. However after the first few chapters I got used to the structure.
I found Amy's character to be a lot more interesting than Nick's was, Amy seemed more complex and somehow had more of a character than Nick. Amy was smart, in fact I'd venture to say a bit of a genius in how she handled life, this isn't the type of book that you stop after the first part, to understand the true genius you have to read the whole thing, but in my opinion it's worth it. Nick was a dickhead, but also surprisingly interesting (not so much as Amy, but interesting none the less), throughout the book he went from loving to hating to emotionless to an emotional wreck, a man with layers... Like an onion... I was quite a character to watch develop throughout his wife's disappearance/murder.

There was a certain realism that I felt while reading about these characters, I often felt nervous for both Nick and Amy at different parts throughout the book, but I never cried (there was no reason to) and rarely laughed out loud, except for then Amy would write (as an example) "Nick and me (yes that is the correct grammar)", which made me chuckle. However during some parts, I felt like I was just reading a book, not really feeling what the characters were feeling or experiencing a different world. But I guess it could be hard to keep up a perfect story that will always and forever keep the readers full attention. Something that often kept my attention (again the psychologist within me) was the occasionally references to Sociopathy... All I'll say about the matter.

The general storyline of this book kept me guessing, throughout the book my mind would wonder and wind through every possible suspect, then just before the end of Part One (Boy Loses Girl) I'd worked out the bombshell that was dropped on us right at the beginning of Part Two (Boy Meets Girl). And although throughout the whole book that's the only thing I guessed right I still really enjoyed this because for me, I don't mind not being able to guess major plot twists in a book before they happen. My favourite part of the book had to be Part Two, especially Amy's influence over Nick's life/POV, she was smart and cunning and we got to see the true genius that she was. The part I didn't like was the end, the last few chapters of Part Three (Boy Gets Girl Back (Or Vise Versa)). I won't explain why as I fear I might give something away but I just did not like it (personal opinion).

Amy's POV during Part One was very well written and as you read the rest of the book you realise that once again her POV (in Part One they are diary entries) is pure genius. If I could I would hug Flynn, just to say how brilliant Amy's character was.

I would recommend this book to anyone who likes a good crime/thriller, so of course I'm giving my copy to my mother, fab book.
8/10
xo

A post shared by |wonderland| (@book.monkey) on
Book Published 2012
Winner of Goodreads Choice Award 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment