Tuesday 14 June 2016

The Mermaids Singing by Val McDermid Review

I took me just over a month to read this book, but in my defense I did stop a few times to to read other books like, Picture of Dorian Gray, Mockingjay and the Harry Potter Prequel (3 pages but still). It was fantastic! The way McDermid had written this book is outstanding, she knows what she is writing about and it makes the story brilliant. I am hugely fascinated by psychology as I am studying it as an A Level in 6th Form College. My mentor from school gave me this book saying it's gruesome but you might really enjoy it so I thought why not give it a go! (Thank you Mr. Kirk)
The way McDermid jumps from Tony Hill and the Bradfield police's perspective to the killers fantastic, in my opinion it keeps you on your feet and you are able to see what the poice are at that moment trying to work out. Some of the torture methods used by the killer though was really quite disturbing, and occasionally even giving me a funny tummy but those scenes never lasted long and it was intriguing to see Dr Tony Hill's progression, not only as a character but of his thought process while he was trying to get into the head of Handy Andy.

Characters
DI Carol Jordan
Dr Tony Hill
Handy Andy - The Queer Killer / Killer
Penny Burgess - News reporter
ACC John Brandon
+ More Characters, the ones above are just the ones that really caught my attention as characters.

Goodreads rating 5/5!


Photo Credit: Ella Dijle (www.instagram.com/elladijle_)

No comments:

Post a Comment